Thursday 12 August 2010

Coppell Quits Bristol City


Steve Coppell has resigned as manager of Bristol City and retired from football management altogether despite hacing only been in charge for two competitive games at Ashton Gate.

Coppell told bcfc.co.uk the reason for his departure.
"I found I could not become passionate about the role and give the commitment the position demands. I appreciate that the timing of my departure is not ideal, but I believe it is best for the club"

Though retiring from football management the former Manchester United winger still wants to be involved in the game, saying "I am retiring from football management but still feel I have a contribution to make to the game sometime in the future".

It is not the first time Coppell has quit early on into a spell as manager, having left Manchester City after just 33 days in charge back in November 1996.

Assistant manager Keith Millen has been charged with taking on the managers role, meaing it will be his second spell in charge having been caretaker boss when Gary Johnson left the club at the back end of last season. Millen has signed a three year contract at Ashton Gate. Millen expressed his joy at getting the job on a full time basis saying:
"I'm excited but I'm still getting over the shock really. I knew I wanted to do the job and last season I enjoyed it. For certain reasons I decided to step aside from it and I was looking forward to working with Steve.

"I did enjoy working with him and we are still friends. We met last night, when he told me the news. He apologised for leaving me in this situation. You have to be your own man and go with your decisions. The players know, certainly from last year, how I like things working."

No comments:

Post a Comment